April 6, 2014

The Man-Version is Always Less Majestic

She’s right; her hair was rather “big.” But that wasn’t entirely her fault. Of the few things I do remember about that day (and this is because I have THE worst short term memory, and not because it wasn’t the most magical day ever) I remember that it was particularly windy for being downtown. I mean, usually the skyscrapers will block most of the gusts depending on which way they are headed, but this time, my new found friend was getting one in the face and her hair was…a loft. But that didn’t stop me from remembering or knowing that there was something special about this girl.

Now, Jamie and others will say that I give the best hugs. But the truth is, I hadn’t been that much of a hugger up to that point. Hugs were always an awkward past time, with having to bend over or awkwardly hug people with their face to my belly button all the time. Jamie was tall[er] and this was going to be a good hug. She made it possible, not me. From that moment and many moments from then on, I came quick to judge others based on their hugs (and I hug a lot of people now). I could just tell immediately that she had a lot of love to give someone. It wasn’t too much and it wasn’t tender or fragile, it was like a familiar warm blanket, it was like I had known her my whole life. I think most importantly, though this is something men would be quick to deny they need, I felt safety; I felt confident that this woman would never hurt me. Now that’s a lot to get out of a small moment with a supposed horrible memory, but as I began writing this post, I was pleased that it all started coming back.

We spoke a lot in the car, and we spoke, laughed, and made eye contact a lot at dinner. I was continuing to do a lot of things that I had struggled with in the past. I don’t want to say I wasn’t struggling or fighting to make sure that I did everything right, but I remember being at ease. I remember feeling intrigued and desperate to know more.  We were at Buca Di Beppo, and we both had also just tried the Purple Pear for the first time. Perhaps those two things cast a love spell. I can’t be sure, to be honest.


I’m not going to talk a whole lot about the soccer game because I did that at that game. It was a lot of fun to answer questions about something I have been passionate about for years. She seemed really into everything I was saying and perhaps that helped to build the confidence in me to keep going. After the game, we got into Cold Stone just as they were closing. We sat out on the porch in the summer night and just talked.  That was when I started truly falling for her. It wasn’t when (I forgot to mention I held her hand and we snugged at the soccer game) we held hands for the first time, it was when I saw her eyes light up as she does anytime she explains something to anyone. She begins with “So…” and takes a breath with a smile. I was pretty sure, that as she began talking about something silly like rocks or geology or something, that I was falling in love. This was magnified when she allowed me to belt “Lady” by Styx, while changing the “Lady” to “Jamie,” and it only grew when we held hands prior to singing “Benny and the Jets” in unison, while cruising State. I’ll let Jamie divulge what happened next if she so desires, but just know that was one of the greatest nights of my life. And yes, we have the ticket to the RSL game framed in my RSL man cave. What now?

No comments:

Post a Comment