March 26, 2014

I've Been Looking For You...

Back to our regularly scheduled love story...

July 9th, 2011. The DATE. I remember it like yesterday. The summer sun whipping my face as I drove up to Salt Lake in the stifling heat...my little grey car didn't have air conditioning. I remember worrying that I was going to be a melted mess by the time I got there and all that time I spent getting cute was probably for naught (I even remember what I was wearing...shorts, and a billowy blue shirt). I arrived at the designated spot (the parking lot at the building where I worked) a little early...thankfully allowing me some time to run to the bathroom to mop myself up. I remember looking in the mirror and praying "Please, don't let me mess this up...there's something about this boy that I REALLY like!"

Hoping my pounding heart would return to a normal beat, I gathered my courage and returned to the parking lot, only to spot a 6'8 towering frame coming towards me. "Jamie!?" called a familiar voice across the lot. It was HIM. Finally, to be able to put a face with the voice I knew very well by this point. And wow...was he TALL (and very cute)!  I don't remember what he said/what I said...but I do remember he gave me a big hug...and that I needed to stand on my tip toes to receive it. (I asked Steve what he remembers about this moment, he remembers that my hair looked really big...HA!).  

There were only two cars in the lot...his and mine. I almost laughed when I saw his. A tiny blue Toyota Yaris. "How do you fit in this thing!?" was probably my attempt at breaking the ice. 

As we drove to dinner, the car was filled with quietness. I remember him telling me before we met that he was hard to initally break into in-person. Internally I started to slightly panic, hoping that he would be the same in boy I knew from over the phone. "I've been looking for you...and don't you worry, by the end of the night I'm going to break into you Stephen Haslam" I said out loud, and gave him a big smile. I felt the fear melt away, and knew that I was in for a good night...




No comments:

Post a Comment